How To Apply
To be eligible for the Gabriel Nikov Memorial Award, candidates must:
- be between 17 and 21 years old;
- live in the Greater Toronto Area
- write an essay (handwritten or typed) of no more than 500 words describing (all four parts):
- the life challenges you have experienced and overcome;
- how you overcame them;
- why/how you have become a positive influence and leader in your community/neighbourhood;
- what positive community or leadership activities you now participate in that demonstrate your achievement in overcoming your previous challenges.
Instructions for the Application Form
Option 1: Fill out the form below and submit.
Option 2: Download and print the application form, then follow these steps:
- complete and attach the application form to the front of the essay
- ask one of the following people who knows you well to sign and date the application form:
teacher, guidance counsellor, principal, youth worker, coach, youth or community group leader, employer, faith leader (i.e. priest, imam, minister, pastor, etc.)
- contact information for the reference person must be provided together with your signature allowing the Award selection panel to contact your reference
- email your application form and your essay NO LATER THAN WEDNESDAY, JUNE 30, 2021
- as much as possible, be available to receive the Award at the Red Balloon Foundation annual memorial event for Gabriel Nikov in Toronto.
Selection of Recipient
The Award winner will be chosen from among the applications received by a panel led by Kelly Whetter, mother of Gabriel Nikov and founder of the Red Balloon Foundation, co-founder of Communities for Zero Violence, and four other Foundation board members in July. The winner will be informed by phone or email on July 31, 2021. Spelling and grammar will not be a factor in the selection; your achievement in overcoming your life challenges to be a positive influence and/or leader in your community is what counts!